Feeling overwhelmed? It’s probably time for a vacation. And you are certainly not alone. Research shows that Americans work more than any other industrialized nation. They also retire later and take fewer vacations than those in other countries.
Sadly, many people choose not to go on vacation because they don’t want to look less committed than their coworkers. Plus, many companies have had to force cutbacks to meet their budgets, making it difficult for people to take time off work.
However, going on vacation is not reserved for those living a life of luxury. There are many health benefits to taking time away – and you don’t have to do anything expensive or elaborate to reap the benefits. Visiting a friend, camping or going on a retreat offer the same rewards as a trip to the Bahamas – probably even more!
Let’s explore the physical and emotional benefits of vacationing and the signs that it’s time for you to take a break!
Health Benefits of Taking a Getaway
Studies consistently show that people who take vacations have lower stress, a better outlook on life and a reduced risk for heart disease. It’s not where you go that matters but rather the need to take time off from your everyday routine.
Here are a few known benefits of going on vacation:
- Improved physical health
- Improved mental health
- Better relationships
- Greater well-being
- Decreased burnout
- Boosted happiness
Signs You Need a Vacation
Don’t ignore your stress levels. If you’re feeling burnt out, you’re overdue for some time off. When you return, you’ll be happier and more productive. Here are some subtle signs that you are in need of a vacation:
- You’re spending more money than you normally would. These are often ‘escape behaviors’ that people do to cope with stress and exhaustion.
- You keep getting splitting headaches. Experiencing physical pain means that stress is taking a toll on your body. Splitting headaches, for example, can come from grinding your teeth while you sleep.
- You feel dissociated with your coworkers. If you’re getting frustrated with your coworkers, your boss or your customers, you likely need a change of pace. A fresh perspective will refresh your mind and body.
- You worry that you’re going to implode. Feeling overwhelmed or overburdened makes you more likely to implode. As a result, you might isolate yourself from others.
- You’re self-medicating. Turning to drugs, alcohol or something else is a sign your health needs some serious attention. Instead of sabotaging it further, take that much needed break from work.
Schedule a Psychic Reading and Find What You’re Missing
Sometimes people are overworked without even realizing it. If you are currently struggling in your professional or personal life, contact Jack Rourke for a psychic reading. Jack integrates life coaching into his readings to help clients make the most of their lives. Sessions are goal-oriented, allowing you to focus on specific areas of your life. Book your psychic reading today and discover the deeper meaning behind your stress.